Sunday, January 6, 2013

Eggnog Bread Pudding by Mandy Jones

When I opened my fridge this morning I realized that quite a few things were going to expire soon. Pete & Gerry's Heirloom eggs. Chocolate chip Panettone bread. Eggnog. It only took me a split second to decide what to use all of these items for...eggnog bread pudding!

This is the perfect time of year for a warm and cozy dish like bread pudding, so I perused the interweb and came across a base recipe using eggnog that I could adapt. It was a cinch to whip up, and the boys in my house now have very happy bellies. Just in time for a midday nap!

Eggnog Bread Pudding
Serves 6-8

8 Tbsp butter (1 stick), melted
8 cups cubed day old bread, (I used chocolate chip panettone bread)
4 cups eggnog (with or w/out alcohol)
3 eggs
1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar (slightly less if your eggnog is very sweet)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins, optional
Cinnamon/sugar blend for sprinkling on top

1. Preheat oven to 350. Pour melted butter over bread in large mixing bowl. Combine until bread soaks up butter.

2. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, eggnog, sugar and nutmeg. Pour mixture over bread and combine. Stir in pecans (and raisins). Allow to sit for 30 minutes or more.

3. Butter baking dish, pour mixture in and sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar blend. Bake for 45 minutes. Test with toothpick or knife. It should come out clean. Serve with fresh whipped cream and a dash of freshly ground nutmeg.

*I didn't add raisins to this dish because I'm not a raisin fan, but my husband thinks they would help balance the texture and flavor profile. He's usually right about these things! ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment